journey

"Happiness is the journey, not the destination."

Friday, May 4, 2012

sanctuary

It's funny how having just one room in the house that is free of things that stress you out can completely change your outlook. (I'm wishing now that I had before pictures, and I haven't yet taken the afters, but I may...and if I do, I'll come back and add them.)

I spent the last week cleaning my bedroom. I moved everything -- absolutely everything -- except 3 pieces of furniture that were Too Large out of the room, and into the living room. I wiped down walls. I cleaned windows. I wiped down furniture and flipped the mattress (we really need a new one, but I need to wait till Hubby is home; we must make sure it's one we both can sleep on). I tossed torn-beyond-repair things -- a bedskirt and a mattress pad -- and replaced others -- the curtains which match the comforter we HAD two years ago, but not the quilt we've had since. There are new curtains. They are not brown, they are a lovely, pale seaglass green. I steam cleaned the carpet. I dusted some things and washed others. I disposed of nearly a shelf-length of books (most of them my sad and shameful Diana Palmer collection, or part of it) and a garbage bag plus of clothes I have not worn in a long time, or have never worn, or have no intention of ever wearing again. I still have more that I haven't been able to bring myself to get rid of yet, but hopefully soon...

I scrutinized very carefully everything that came back into that room. I have organized and reorganized and the only things left that I don't absolutely believe belong in there are a basket of books that I need to either finally read, or reread and decide whether or not I want to keep them, and an orange-crate of things that really belong in a different room. Oh, and some laundry baskets. Once I get around to getting myself a new hamper, the laundry baskets shall be stored elsewhere. Perhaps the laundry room, when they're not in use.

I think I might even have room in there for a dainty, slim little slipper chair -- if I could find one I love! I'd like to be able to remove the desk-style sewing machine, but it was my great-grandmother's and I'm not ready to give it up, nor do I, at this moment, have anywhere else to put it. And I could use a new dresser; the one Hubby and I are sharing is only big enough for both of us when he's gone and I can pack away half of his clothes. Not really an ideal solution, I think you can agree.

I don't even have a clock in the room; Hubby's is too bright and keeps me awake at night, so I removed it, and mine is in the little hallway that passes as the "sink" portion of our bathroom, where I can't see it from the bed and have to actually get out of bed to walk to and turn off in the morning (which keeps me from hitting snooze more than once. Or twice if it's been a particularly bad night.) All this leaves the room feeling like a giant, full-body hug to myself. I can go in there, shut the cats and dogs and kids out, and just be quiet and be myself. I may even have enough room by the foot of the bed to set up my computer, kick the dog bed out of the way, and do yoga. It's cool and calm and softly-lit, and non-stressful. I just have to remember to dust to keep it that way.

Now all I have to do is that little sliver of a bathroom, and maybe the walk-in closet but there's no rush on that, and it'll be all done. The bathroom should only take a couple of hours; the closet can wait indefinitely. Next up will be probably the kitchen. Or the dining room. Or whatever. Same M.O. -- empty of everything possible, clean from the ceiling down, replace things slowly. Stuff I want to keep for the kids or a different season or whatever can be packed away. Stuff I don't want but is in good shape can go to Goodwill. Stuff that is beyond help can be tossed. Slowly, slowly, I think I can get my house cleaned out.

Happy springtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment