journey

"Happiness is the journey, not the destination."

Monday, September 12, 2011

stressful weekends just don't stop

I really feel like I need to read something with an eye to reviewing it, just because I need something to concentrate on that will make me happy. I have a couple of new things I need to load on my reader; maybe one of those will be The One; the next book to inspire me to write about it.

We've had a long and busy weekend, piling new stress up on top of the stress I'm already feeling. My fingers are so crossed that the DH's truck will sell soon that my hands are starting to cramp, but really? We really really need it to happen. The Middle Child had his 8th birthday on Saturday, and he started celebrating on Thursday. He apparently felt that the entire weekend should be All About HIM, and that he should be able to do whatever he wanted, and win everything. Needless to say, that's not the way it went, and there were many tears involved. And that meant many lectures. And when I'm the one giving the lectures, it stresses me, and when I'm just listening to the DH lecture, it stresses me out. On top of that, there was a lovely hate-y rant on FB, which I allowed myself to be drawn into, which culminated in a woman I thought was a friend who knew me fairly well deciding that I was expressing an opinion based on a superficial knowledge of the subject at hand. (I'm trying REALLY HARD not to get into the whole thing on here.)  Anyway, I have no real evidence that she has any more background on the matter than she thinks I have, but I *know* that I have more knowledge than she thinks I do. I don't offer up an opinion on things unless I'm sure of my position and feel VERY strongly on the subject, and to be so dismissed is hurtful. I may not have a degree, and I may stay home with my kids, but I *do* have a fairly thorough education. I do not have a paid job, but that doesn't mean I have no motivation to learn things. I may have primarily reviewed (or commented on, rather) romance and YA novels, but that's not all I read now, and it's certainly not all I've ever read.

Lesson? Don't ever presume to know, especially based on a single conversation on a given subject, that someone does not have the knowledge to support or uphold their opinion. Unless you have been with them for every moment of their life to date, you have no way of knowing what experiences or research are fueling their thoughts and feelings. In other words, Dear Ma'am, you can bite me!

No comments:

Post a Comment