journey

"Happiness is the journey, not the destination."

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Adventures in Baking -- I have a new cookbook!


So I actually bought this book a few months ago (by which I mean something less than a year, but I'm not guaranteeing how MUCH less; I don't remember exactly.) I've been wanting to try it, because the no-knead part of it is seductive, but upon reading through, parts of the preparation require more effort than "normal" bread-making.

However, I have some time today, and nothing else I want to do, so I decided to give it a shot, and maybe chronicle this first attempt. 

The book is set up with several basic recipes (which can be stored in the refrigerator after rising so you can bake whenever you'd like -- I can do the rise at bedtime and make fresh bread the next morning for breakfast, if I want to go to the effort, but more on that later.) The basic recipes are followed by several variations on mostly form, although I believe later in the book it gets into add-ins as well. Each basic recipe builds in both ingredients and technique on the one before, so I'm starting on Master Recipe #1, and depending on how it goes...well, we shall see what we shall see. Perhaps there will be fresh bread for dinner tonight.

Now, just a word about that extra effort at the baking stage -- These recipes are for artisan-style bread, which means free-form (no loaf pans!) baked on a stone in the oven with water. In practical terms, what this means is you put a broiler pan on the bottom rack of your oven and a baking stone on the middle rack, then heat the oven up VERY hot (450*F). The loaf is shaped and set to rest on a separate cookie sheet, and when it's ready to go in the oven, and the oven is heated up, you have to quickly slide it from cookie sheet onto baking stone. I'm thinking I need to invest in one of those cookie sheets with three sides open or a pizza peel (but for now, I'm just going to use a regular cookie sheet flipped over). 

So. Onward and upward!

Master Recipe #1: Easy Artisan Dough

6-1/2 c unbleached all-purpose or bread flour
1-1/2 T instant or bread machine yeast
1-1/2 T fine table or kosher salt
3 c lukewarm water

1. Measure. Spoon the flour into a measuring cup, level with a knife or your finger, then dump the flour into the mixing bowl.

2. Mix. Add the yeast and salt to the flour. Stir together with a wooden spoon or Danish dough whisk  (oooh, I want!!). Pour in the water and stir together until just moistened. Beat 40 strokes, scraping the bottom and the sides of the bowl, until the dough forms a lumpy sticky mass.

3. Rise. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature ( 72*F/22*C) in a draft-free place for 2 hours or until the dough has risen nearly to the top of the bowl and has a sponge-like appearance.

4. Use right away or refrigerate. Use that day or place the dough, covered with plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for up to 9 days before baking.

Here's my dough through #2, all mixed and ready to rise.

I don't know whether I'm going to start the actual baking part today or tomorrow, but whenever it is we'll be making one or more baby boules.

ETA: It's been more than a few days since I last wrote this, but I'm back for a quickie update. This is awesome; the first time I baked the bread, it turned out gorgeous and yummy and practically disappeared in no time flat. I have pictures.

We're thinking that this might make a decent bread bowl for soup; it's chewy, with a heavy crust. I'm gonna try it sometime with a nice, thick soup. YUM! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment