journey

"Happiness is the journey, not the destination."

Monday, March 5, 2012

Why I hate Twilight...

So a couple of things gelled in my mind this weekend. If you like Twilight, please don't hate me, and understand that this is just *my* opinion. Take it with a grain of salt, or leave it, but don't think I'm judging you. (Ok, I won't lie. I may well be judging you. But I won't let it affect my feelings toward you. Promise.)

It's been a while since I last attempted to read Twilight. The first time I couldn't get farther along than a couple of chapters, but somewhat recently I managed to get 1/3 of the way through before endangering my walls with it. Yes, I found it a wallbanger. What of it?

Anyway...

There are two songs which kind of encapsulate the two biggest issues I have with this book.

Problem #1: Bella. To me, Bella is the beige curtains of this song. She doesn't have a personality, at least in the way that I perceive personalities. She just...is, like furniture; she only impinges on your consciousness when she collapses under you.

Riki Lindhome (of Garfunkel and Oates) -- Beige Curtains


Problem #2 -- Edward. Nearly as much of a cypher as Bella; he struck me as a caricature of a classic 80s Alpha-hole hero, crossed with Anne Rice, with the added disadvantages of being a poorly aged frat boy AND sparkles (let's be honest. The only people who can get away with glitter on their bodies are underdressed girls/twinks at clubs and pre-teen girls. Think for a minute about what this says about Edward. Really. THINK about it.) I would never date him, myself, and if I can't get into him, why the HELL would I want to read about him? I read about guys I'd date or hang out with or be friends with. Not the opposite. Therefore, the song that best represents those feelings is.... *drumroll*

Self Esteem by (again) Garfunkel and Oates -- Riki Lindhome and Kate Micucci

Love these girls, love these songs...so, as a bonus for sticking with me through this, a song I expected to hate (but it grew on me): 


This Party Took a Turn for the Douche -- Garfunkel and Oates

Look 'em up! You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment