journey

"Happiness is the journey, not the destination."

Friday, January 13, 2012

NOT a Sock Hop -- except in the broadest sense


I think the boys' school missed out on a great opportunity today. All the kids who had met their AR (that's Accelerated Reading -- they read books, take tests & earn points) goal for the last quarter got to attend a "50s Sock Hop" in the gym this afternoon. That's how it was billed on the little flyer that was sent home. Kids were encouraged to dress in 50s-style clothing and come ready to dance. Parents were encouraged to attend & the boys both asked me to go, so... Well, imagine my surprise to find that the music was going to be provided via XBox hooked up to someone's iPod, and rather than just letting the kids dance, they're supposed to be dancing along with the figures being projected on the wall. OK, I can see that, maybe. Except...well, NONE of the music was even remotely from the 50s. They skimmed over a couple of 80s songs (Take On Me, anyone?) but all the rest was extremely current. 


I know I can be a bit of a dinosaur about music, but...we're talking about a bunch of K-2nd graders, here. Some of the dance moves and lyrics were not really what I'd consider appropriate for that age group. 


I mean, they could even have found some updated covers of 50s songs, I'm sure.


The biggest thing for me, though? If it's supposed to be a 50s sock hop, why the HELL wouldn't you make it into an experience? Play up your theme! Play the music, for goodness sake! Maybe some of these kids will already be familiar with it (mine are...but like I said. I can be a bit of a dinosaur). And if they're not? Whether they like it or not, it's not exactly going to harm their delicate little psyches to be forced, for 45 minutes, to be exposed to a piece of their cultural past. 



No comments:

Post a Comment