journey

"Happiness is the journey, not the destination."

Monday, January 9, 2012

Lost in My Own Head

It just so happens that I have a ton of things percolating around in my brain that need to come out, one way or another. The problem is, at the moment they're all fragmented and mixed up (my brain sometimes makes me think of a really rich soup -- incredible, yummy ingredients in tiny pieces. It's wonderful stuff, of course, but thought-soup is just a mess and not really something you can share with others.) Unfortunately, on the rare occasion when there is cohesiveness to a portion of it, it's always at a *most* inconvenient time: the hubby is busy playing World of Tanks and thus has control of the computer. I'm in the shower, or driving, or elbow-deep in soapy dishwater. I'm trying really *really* hard to get the kids all up and ready for school and down to the school bus without letting my "Not a morning person" show too much. Y'know. Life stuff.


Somehow, none of it ever seems to get really written (or typed) down, and once it's done its little fling with thoughtfulness and Making Sense, it takes a powder (or two...) and it's on to the next variation on Brain Soup. What this means is that I have bloggy things only when I can't blog, and when I can -- well, when I can, I get the Rambling Randoms, like this.


Some things that are happening in my life: 


1. I went for a walk with the dog and the Princess. It was a pretty good walk except that the dog pulling on his leash over *everything* (alternating between "Mommy, FRIEND!" and "Mommy, HIDE ME!") rubbed some rawness on my palm and made washing dishes unpleasant afterward. And when we were 2 houses from home, the dogs that live at *that* house got out of their yard & attacked us. This is the second time this has happened. Really, people, if you have one of those underground fence things, and your dogs get out, you really need to rethink what you're doing. 


2. We got official word (it's on Facebook & the media) that my husband will be deploying to Afghanistan within the next few months (just in time for my birthday; thanks So Much for that!)


3. This week is going to be all about steam-cleaning the carpet in the living room and rearranging furniture in there, and spraying the back yard for fleas and other creepycritters. 


4. DinoBoy got a Treasure Box from his grandparents for Christmas, filled with animal bones, a turtle shell, various minerals, and all he needs to be an Explorer -- flashlight, compass, notebook & pen. I am taking it in for his class to see tomorrow, and I shall eat lunch with him first. I am thinking for Halloween, I need to get him a "safari" type hat, and a khaki shirt, and he can be an archaeologist.


5. I really wish I was talented with the sewing and all, because I think it would be hysterical to dress one of my kids (or my husband) up as a Knight from Monty Python & the Holy Grail. With a little fluffy bunny attached to the throat. Alternatively, dress one up as a knight, one up as Tim the Enchanter, and dress someone up as a fluffy, white, gore-covered bunny. Sadly, I think only about 3 people might actually Get It.


6. In addition to going to Afghanistan soon, this week the DH is in the field. He's still on crutches, so I'm not entirely sure how this is supposed to work. Guess we'll find out, huh? I just hope he manages to not overdo things, and comes home to me in at least as good shape as he's been in lately. *sigh* 


7. I have been reading somewhat obsessively lately, but I've been rather a lurker than a joiner over on Goodreads, and haven't been reviewing. And I won't be here. I'll just say that what I've been reading is every Mercedes Lackey I can get my hands on that's set in the same world as Valdemar. I'm not really sure why; someone mentioned the Last Herald-Mage trilogy on a thread somewhere; I dug out my copies, and I was off.


8. I am really disappointed when the library only has books 1 and 3 of a trilogy.  It would be one thing if book 2 were simply lost or perpetually checked out, but instead...no. There are no signs it was ever even purchased. 


9. Regarding libraries: What is the purpose of an online catalog if it's impossible to access online? I mean, really. 

No comments:

Post a Comment