journey

"Happiness is the journey, not the destination."

Monday, February 6, 2012

kerfuffles

There are yet more kerfuffles going on nationally, both within the book communities where I lurk and within politics -- and some of them are, in some ways, interconnected (in that many of those circles, for whatever reason, are Pro- something that the primary political battle -- Republican nominee for President -- is Anti-. I won't go any deeper into it than that, except to say that I, personally, am probably Pro- most of it.)

This is just to say that I do care. I'm just not saying anything. There are plenty of people writing blogs who, I think, can say things better, more coherently or more passionately or just plain more informedly than I. All I could really do would be to tag along in the rear, saying, "Yeah, hey, what she said!" And a lot of good, important dialogue is going on in the comments on those blog posts, and I don't want that stuff to get drowned underneath a sea of "Yeah! What s/he said!" so I'm just going to keep that part to myself.

Of course, there's also that part of me that feels overlooked, that mostly *likes* being overlooked. That part of me is more comfortable with lurking; not because I don't believe I have anything to contribute (I know I do; my voice is just as important as anyone else's, which is why I freaking sign petitions & set myself up for scads of emails that are just gonna get deleted because if I signed ALL of them? I'd never have time for anything else.)

I like lurking. I don't like latching on to coattails, and since I'm not in the thick of things, I think I can see maybe a little clearer. And right now, I mostly like what I'm seeing -- communities coming together to support each other, and to say "This is wrong." They're right; it IS wrong, and sometimes one strong voice supported by many others is stronger than All the Voices speaking over top of each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment