journey

"Happiness is the journey, not the destination."

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Why I cut my hair off...

Just a random little ramble because I'm sitting in front of my computer right now...

I don't have any real pictures that I can find of my hair longer, but it was down nearly to the middle of my back. It hadn't been cut in close to a year, and was due for at least a trim. So I went for a jaw-length bob. Would you like to see?


Comments from friends & my mom have universally been that it's cute, they like it, it suits me... except my husband, who left a fairly grudging "I suppose if it makes you happy that's all that matters." (I know it was grudging because I know how he is about my hair.)

The reasons I gave people about the WHY of it are fairly simple & straightforward: It's Georgia. It's mid-April and I've had the air conditioning on since early March. My hair gets hot and heavy, and pulling it back with rubber bands or barrettes gives me headaches. And, yeah, those things are all true. But I guess I kind of left out an important one.

There's a teenytiny miniscule chance that at least partly, it was done out of irritation. I *always* have my hair back. It itches at my neck and jaw when it's loose. I keep it long because my husband likes it that way, but he never touches it, except, very occasionally, to slip his hand in at my skull. Every now and again, I can coax one of my kids to play with it -- comb & brush or practice braiding, or just flop it around with their fingers, but they're not enthusiastic about it, and, well... if no one's interested in playing with it except me, I might as well save myself some time and effort & just chop it off.

So, chopped it is. I love it. It feels so much lighter and cooler, and doesn't itch at me so much. I'm still getting used to it, though; I forget that I can't run my fingers through it and up to arms' length anymore, and I don't need to pull it out of the neck of my shirt or sweater. But mostly -- it's about me making a change that's all about me, without stopping first and wondering what someone else is gonna think. I love having people do stuff with my hair; it's relaxing. But ultimately, it's more relaxing short like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment